These are honours and distinctions awarded to our students and staff.
Best Paper Award at the 8th International Conference on Intelligent Technologies for Interactive Entertainment (INTETAIN 2016), for the paper "Do Warriors, Villagers and Scientists Decide Differently? The Impact of Role on Message Framing" by student Jorrit Siebelink and thesis advisors Peter van der Putten and Maurits Kaptein.
Dutch Hacking Health 2016 first prize, for developing the "BedPartner" app to prevent hospital infections, co-created by Media Technology MSc student Hélène Trommelen.
Among the Selected Best Papers at the 8th International Conference on Interfaces and Human Computer Interaction (IHCI 2014), Lisbon, for the paper "The Leap Motion Controller in a 3D Virtual Environment: Explorations and Evaluations of Pointing Tasks" by student Joanna Camargo Coelho and lecturer Fons Verbeek.
Hack the Brain 2014 best hack concept award, for project "Lucid Dreaming", co-authored by Media Technology MSc students Lisa Rombout and Arjen Suijker.
2013 Future Ideas European Master Thesis Competition, second place in the category "Entertainment, Media & Gaming" was awarded to the Master's thesis of student Lieven van Velthoven.
Dutch Game Award 2011 for Best Student Game was awarded to the Room Racers augmented reality game by student Lieven van Velthoven.
- Jury-nomination for Best Original Game of the Dutch Game Awards 2011 for the Room Racers augmented reality game by student Lieven van Velthoven.
- Best New Media Production Award 2011 of the Cinekid International Youth Media Festival was awarded to the Room Racers project by student Lieven van Velthoven.
- Best Demonstration Award of the international EuroHaptics 2010 Conference was awarded to Staas de Jong for demonstrating his Cyclotactor technology prototype.
- Witteveen+Bos Art+Technology Award 2009 was awarded to Edwin van der Heide for the strength of his unique position within the new media and the visual arts.
- Edwin van der Heide was made the Edgard Varèse guest professor position at the TU Berlin in the period May - August 2009.
- Best in Show Award at the Leiden University Study Festival, March 8 2008, for Mano dei Mario: Intuitive Game Control by Casper Schipper, Bastiaan Terhorst, and Pegah Takapoui.
- Emerging Technologies Award at the 9th Int Conference on Virtual Reality 2007 for Globe4D, Time-traveling with an Interactive Four-dimensional Globe by Rick Companje, Nico van Dijk, Hanco Hogenbirk, and Danica Mast.
- Education and Virtual Entertainment Award at the 9th Int Conference on Virtual Reality 2007 for Globe4D, Time-traveling with an Interactive Four-dimensional Globe by Rick Companje, Nico van Dijk, Hanco Hogenbirk, and Danica Mast.
- Jury Recommendation Award at the 10th Japan Media Arts Festival 2006 for PingPongPixel by Jonathan den Breejen and Marenka Deenstra.
- Best Video Program Award at the 14th Int ACM Multimedia Conference 2006 for Globe4D, Time-traveling with an Interactive Four-dimensional Globe by Rick Companje, Nico van Dijk, Hanco Hogenbirk, and Danica Mast.