< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3
[course] Research Seminar Artificial Intelligence 2017
Posted: 27 March 2017 09:32 AM   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  757
Joined  2007-05-02

After struggling with what appears to be a broken version of Excel, I decided to give up and post the evaluations of last week’s homework test (neural networks) in the vault. The layout cannot be corrected, so look on the second page for the evaluations of Q8. I realize this sucks, but my Excel just gave up on me.

Posted: 28 March 2017 10:12 PM   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

Dear students,

here are some guidelines regarding the homework reading assignment for next class (April 4). They are intended to make life easier for you.

- Make sure you read [Brooks 1991] (”Intelligence Without Representation”). There may be other articles by Rodney Brooks in the reader, so make sure read the correct one.

- Make sure you read pages 1-19 of Braitenberg’sVehicles: Experiments in Synthetic Psychology

- Get an idea of what Heider and Simmel’s article is about (”An Experimental Study of Apparent Behavior”), and what its relevance is. If you can find a concise description/summary of what it is about, then that is fine and you can skip the article. Hint: perhaps one of you can read it and share a summary.

- Read the articles by Nareyek (2004) and Kusahara (2001) last, and only if you are interested in them. I won’t include them in the homework test.

Posted: 04 April 2017 07:56 PM   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

The evaluations of today’s presentations (Rodney Brooks’ ideas, and swarm optimizations) are inside the course vault.

Posted: 11 April 2017 08:26 PM   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

The evaluation of today’s presentation (computational creativity) can be found inside the course vault.

Posted: 18 April 2017 12:16 PM   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

In the course vault are the results of the homework tests on Rodney Brooks’ ideas, and on the article by Colton & Wiggins.

Posted: 19 April 2017 08:58 PM   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

It appears that the papers that are presented at the International Conference on Computational Intelligence in Music, Sound, Art and Design (EvoMUSART 2017) can be downloaded free of cost until May 10.

Go to http://www.evostar.org/2017/ and look under “latest news”. Or go to https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-319-55750-2.

Posted: 19 April 2017 09:53 PM   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

My comments and evaluations of yesterday’s presentations (bio computation & control, and cyborg intelligence) are inside the course vault.

Posted: 25 April 2017 08:27 PM   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

The evaluations and comments for today’s presentations are inside the course vault.

Posted: 02 May 2017 10:22 PM   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

The evaluations and comments for today’s presentations (The Great AI Awakening and Semantic Web) are inside the course vault.

Posted: 04 May 2017 08:51 PM   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2016-09-06

Hi Guys!

Tuesday, during our presentation, we mentioned that we contacted Gideon Lewis-Kraus, the author of The Great A.I. Awakening. Although he first replied that he was too busy, he still took the courtesy to answer our questions! So, for the ones that are still interested in Gideon’s affiliation with A.I., please find his answers to our questions below!

Although, we have done some research on who you are, we are hoping to get more insight on your affiliation with A.I.. From our understanding, and please correct us if we are wrong, you are a writer on several different subjects. We have found some of your earlier articles on machine learning, but we have noticed that it was not necessarily one of your first subjects that you wrote about. Therefore, we would like to ask the first question:

1. At what time and why did you decide to write about A.I.?

Secondly, reading the article, it really seems like you spend a long time at Google doing research. Although, we wonder how you experienced your time at Google, we would like to formulate the second question as follows:

2. Why did you decide to do your research specifically at Google? Was it because at that time Google was the most progressive company in research on A.I.? Or were there other reasons that played a role in your decision?

I’m going to answer these two questions together. You guys are right that I don’t usually write about AI, and that I write about a lot of different things. Part of how I see my job, and how I make decisions about what sorts of stories to pursue, is that I look for what seem to me to be gaps in the existing coverage. In this case, it seemed to me that every day you open the newspaper and read something about “machine learning” or “neural networks,” but that nobody ever really bothered to try to explain in real detail what they were and how they worked. Usually there was just one or two sentences that said, “They are complex statistical techniques.” But I thought that if we, as a society, were going to have meaningful conversations about the future of automation, the nontechnical people needed to get a better of understanding of what these things actually did—what sorts of problems they were good for, what were their limits, etc. So I thought that if there was a way to do a story where I could learn and then explain the actual mechanics, I would want to do it.
With that in mind, I knew that there were a million different AI/ML companies out there, but I also knew that Google was the first very big, wealthy institution to invest in these technologies, so I thought a good version of the story could be built around the ways that their institutional investment brought these very old and unfashionable technologies back into the mainstream. I spent about eight months trying to convince a PR person at Google that they should give me access to do it. Ultimately, they agreed, and I spent about a week per month at Google over six or seven months. I didn’t decide until about halfway through that I was going to focus on the Translate project in particular.

Lastly, we found that throughout the article you stay rather objective towards the future implications of A.I., until the epilogue. From what we understand, you share the positive opinion of Google on the future implementations of A.I., rather than share other’s fear for singularity. Therefore we would like to ask you the third and final question:

3. What is your view on the future prospects of A.I.? Do the people warning us about the dangers of super intelligence, like Steven Hawking, have a justified fear towards A.I.?

Ha! I have really no idea. But I do think it’s true that sometimes the scaremongering about Artificial Superintelligence does us a disservice, because it distracts us from focusing on the very real social and political problems presented by automation right now. I think that nobody really knows if Steven Hawking’s fears are justified, but we definitely know that almost half of all jobs are at risk of being automated, and that seems like a much bigger problem than an AI that turns the universe into paper clips.

Posted: 08 May 2017 08:51 AM   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

Cool, thanks for the update. And great of Gideon to respond.

Posted: 09 May 2017 04:04 PM   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2016-09-06

The link to the NVIDEA website:

https://devblogs.nvidia.com/parallelforall/deep-learning-self-driving-cars/

The link to the end to end learning for self-driving Cars:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1604.07316

Posted: 09 May 2017 08:28 PM   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

The evaluations of today’s presentations are available inside the course vault.

@ANTRIA: Please post the requested links in this forum topic. Thanks.

Posted: 10 May 2017 11:38 AM   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-09-06

Which movies get artificial intelligence right? By David Shultz:
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/07/which-movies-get-artificial-intelligence-right

How Hollywood Has Depicted Artificial Intelligence Over The Years :
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/hollywood-depicted-artificial-intelligence-years/

Thanks
Antria

(Sorry, I made a mistake and I post a new topic on the course announcement, but I can’t delete it ... can anybody delete it ?)

Posted: 16 May 2017 12:33 PM   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

Sorry to abuse this thread for an unrelated announcement:

Next Thursday (May 18), 15:30 - 16:00 there is a lecture by Dr. Tessa Verhoef of UCSD on “Computation x Creativity and the Origins of Language”. See http://mediatechnology.leiden.edu/forum/viewthread/1931/

< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3