[course] Research Seminar Social Technologies 2016
Posted: 24 December 2016 10:36 AM
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2015-09-01

Dear students,

Welcome to the Research Seminar Social Technologies.

This first post contains an important message for those who haven’t got their Christmas wish-lists finalised yet.
You will need to buy the following books:

1) http://www.vanstockum.nl/boeken/geschiedenis-algemeen/oudheid-tot-500/gb/thinking-big-dunbar-robin-gowlett-john-gamble-clive-9780500051801/
2) http://www.vanstockum.nl/boeken/kinderboeken/speel—en-leerboeken—12-jaar/gb/origins-of-language-hurford-james-r-9780198701880/

We will read them basically from cover to cover throughout the course. I very strongly recommend to get the hard copies so that you can read anywhere, make notes and draw little hearts in the margin to indicate passages you liked most. Also, you will be expected to have the books with you in class, so that we can read together and discuss.

Hopefully you have been good this year so that Santa is willing to obey!

Kind wishes, Max

Posted: 27 January 2017 10:32 AM   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-09-01

Dear all,

Next Thursday, on February 2nd from 10am-1pm, we will meet for the first class of the Research Seminar Social Technologies.
We will use this first meeting for three things:
1) planning: a schedule will be made regarding reading, homework, class presentations, and the symposium;
2) round-table discussion of the first text (see below);
3) what are social technologies? I will give a brief lecture (~40 mins) on the topic, to get your learning apetite started.

In preparation, please do the following:

- Read the first chapter of Michael Tomasello’s 1999 book The Cultural Origins of Human Cognition. A copy can be found in the 413 library. A summary of the chapter can be found on Tomasello’s home page:
https://people.ucsc.edu/~gwells/Files/Courses_Folder/documents/Tomasello.Problemabridged.pdf
***It is strongly recommended to read the full chapter, since it’s much smoother and only little more work than the summary!***
Bring a copy of the text (preferably the full chapter) with you, so that you can access it during the discussion in class.

- Get acquainted with the two books that you had to buy for this course (see former post), Gamble et al. (green) and Hurford (white). For the next meeting, we will read the first three chapters of Gamble and the first two of Hurford, ~100p in total, so make sure you are ready to get started. Look at the prefaces, try a few pages to check whether you need a dictionary near your seat, etc.

We will also have some “meeloopstudenten” (try-out students) among us that day, so there will be a few new faces.

Looking much forwad to seeing you next Thursday!

Max

Posted: 03 February 2017 02:54 PM   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-09-01

Dear all,

Please find the schedule here:
http://www.mjvd.nl/SHWeb/PlanningTable2017.pdf

Have fun!
Max

Posted: 03 February 2017 09:27 PM   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2014-09-01

Hi guys,

I’m in the group that is due leading the class next meeting. Is there some sort of contact detail document, so I can reach everyone from the group? Or something else so I can get in contact with you all?

Posted: 16 February 2017 10:26 PM   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-09-01

Dear all,

There are two upcoming events related to the Research Seminar Social Technologies. 

1) Diary study (obligatory)
As a part of this course we will run a social network study on ourselves. The data we produce will be analysed in class and used as a basis for a joint paper with all of us on the Symposium day in May. The study starts March 1 and takes exactly 31 days, until April 1st. It will require you to keep a diary of all your social contacts, online and offline, which takes about 10 minutes every day. More details will follow during the next class, but it is good to be prepared: if all of us do this seriously, we can produce a real and important scientific result.

2) Film screening (recommended)
Thursday 2 March everyone is welcome to join the screening of “Quest for fire” (1981), a great film about the stone age.
17.00-19.00h in 413. Snacks & drinks: bring your own and share.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082484/

See you next Thursday!

Max

Posted: 16 February 2017 10:51 PM   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-09-01

From next week you’ll need to enroll in the Social Technologies Blackboard course. We’ll speak about it in class.
For those who want to have a look already:
1) log into Blackboard at blackboard.leidenuniv.nl
2) go to Courses and search for: Research Seminar: Social Technologies [2016-17] (4383RSST4-1617FWN)
3) enroll

After next week, all communication will take place through Blackboard and you’ll need to upload your abstracts and assignments there.

All best! Max

Posted: 01 March 2017 02:22 PM   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-09-01

Dear all,

Today it’s the 1st of March, meaning that the Diary Study will now begin. Please download the Excel questionnaire from the Course Documents in Blackboard and make sure you take some time every evening to fill it out.

Please read the instructions (first tab in the Excel) very carefully before getting started!! See also the Blackboard announcement for more info.

Kind wishes, Max

Posted: 02 March 2017 09:19 AM   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-09-01

Dear all,

Just a quick reminder that today at 17h we will screen the film ‘Quest for fire’ in 413. It’s a GREAT movie about the early stone age, really adding life to the ‘bones & stones’ we read about.

Hope to see you there!

Max

Posted: 02 March 2017 09:50 AM   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-09-01

Dear all,

There is a small mistake in the Excel questionnaire: the scales for laughter and emotion should be 3-point-scales, so 0-2 instead of 0-3. Please download the updated questionnaire from the Course Documents in Blackboard and copy your first tab (yesterday) into it.

I’m very sorry!

Max

Posted: 28 March 2017 06:23 PM   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-09-01

Dear all,

A very important announcement for Thursday’s class:

**Please bring a laptop and the Excel with your social diary!!**

At 1pm sharp, after I have finished my ‘mini lecture’ on where we stand with the reading material, you will receive instructions on how to proceed with the Excel sheet. We will perform the same steps on our computers all together, which guarantees a very smooth and secure way of processing and combining all our data. For this it is very important that

**your data are clean and ready to go!!**

So if there are still gaps / missing days, please fix them before coming to class on Thursday, otherwise you’ll obstruct the collective procedure. You can use your calendar and phone’s history (calls, texts) to look up what your activities were on missing days. Always try to be accurate, of course, but completeness is even more important at this stage (in other words, it’s more important to have data for all days than that you accidentally miss 1-2 interaction here and there).
If you don’t have a laptop, see if you can borrow one for the occasion.

All best, see you Thursday! Max

Posted: 30 March 2017 11:15 AM   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2016-09-06

The link to download the data sheet template:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtoz4zhs1mvuog2/Template_ST_Datasheet.xlsx?dl=0

Posted: 26 April 2017 12:42 AM   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2015-09-01

Is the Social Technologies symposium open to ‘visitors’? smile

Posted: 10 May 2017 11:11 PM   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-09-06

The schedule for tomorrow’s Symposium is online and can be found on Blackboard under course documents.

Important times to remember:

08.30 - 09.00 Room open, coffee
09.00 - 09.15 Opening by Max van Duijn
-
18.00 - 18.30 Discussion & drinks

Posted: 21 August 2017 08:55 PM   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-09-01

Dear all,

Hope you are still enjoying a wonderful summer!?

The long-awaited final grades from ST are here –– that is, for those who have handed in the final assignment.
(Those who applied for an extension, please stay on track! I’m looking forward to receiving something soon…)

See Blackboard!

Then my apologies for those who had to wait long before their evaluation appeared in Turnitin. Some had it almost right away, others had to wait for weeks. Not so nice, and there is never really an excuse, but please take it that I’ve been working on research projects of my own –– quite a task beside the fresh fatherhood (no, that’s not one of the research projects! Though as soon as language acquisition starts….who knows)

See you soon in Leiden!

Max