[Extra classes] Statistics, What are They?
Posted: 16 September 2016 04:24 PM
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  779
Joined  2007-05-02

Dear second- and higher-year students,

In Fall 2015 I taught a single lecture on statistics, to refresh our memories on what is what and when to use it. This was well received by students, but also an inspiration for me personally to extend this initiative. This semester I will be giving three lectures on statistics, for those who are interested.  These lectures are taught during (but are not part of, hahaha) the Creative Research course.

Tue Oct 4, 10-12h
Descriptive statistics, about getting to know your data

Tue Oct 11, 10-12h
Inferential statistics, about how to draw conclusions from data

Mon Oct 24, 14-17h
Statistics in context, about making mistakes and understanding the limitations of statistics

They can be found on the webpage for Creative Research (http://mediatechnology.leiden.edu/openaccess/course-creative-research). Spread the word among Media Technology students.

Best regards,
Maarten Lamers

Posted: 25 September 2016 04:10 PM   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2015-09-09

Once there was 1 ECTs on the table for succesfully taking part in the statistics course; is it still there? Since Statistics is NOT part of Creative Research this might be an appealing construction…
Cheers,

Robbert

Posted: 26 September 2016 08:28 AM   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

Nope, no ECs. Basic statistics is something that you should remember from highschool, not something that you should learn in a Master program. Hence I do not regard this as teaching, or something that you should learn, but as stuff that you already know. It would be weird to award ECs for that. The fact that I discuss it in class is because most students appear to have forgotten about it. Very strange, since it is really quite nice.

Posted: 02 October 2016 08:24 PM   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

This is a reminder that on Oct 4, Oct 11 and Oct 24, I will be lecturing about basic statistics. It is aimed specifically at Media Technology MSc students, and should suit many of their projects.

Share this message with fellow students please.

Posted: 04 October 2016 02:31 PM   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

Dear students,

As per request of the students in class, I have put the slides of today’s statistics class inside the course vault, where you can access them.

Some things were changed in the slides since class:
I was asked by a student after class what correlation coefficients (r) results when a variable is constant, i.e. always has a fixed value. We tried it out, and it turns out that is such cases the correlation coefficient r is undefined. I updated the slides to reflect this.

Posted: 07 October 2016 02:02 PM   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

Together with Edwin, we have looked into the availability of statistics tools in Excel on Apple Mac machines.

Apparently, on Macs, Excel’s standard Data Analysis Toolpak is only supported in Excel 2016 and not in earlier versions of Excel (see: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2431349).

However, these is a free statistics plug-in for Mac available: “StatPlus:mac LE” (http://www.analystsoft.com/en/). It appears to have most of the functions that you would need, with the exception of Chi-squared testing.

Posted: 11 October 2016 12:55 AM   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-01-04

There is also a possibility of using Google Sheets. There you can install the XLMiner Analysis Toolpak add-on with functions matching the Analysis ToolPak in desktop Excel.

Posted: 11 October 2016 09:31 AM   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

Thanks Maral! Excellent suggestion.

Posted: 24 October 2016 10:11 PM   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

I have uploaded the complete set of slides from the three statistics classes into the Creative Research course vault.

Also, I placed there an Excel file with the data that I used for the inferential statistics tests, including the outcomes of my tests. You can use it to practice.

May p < 0,05 in your journeys.
Maarten

Posted: 25 October 2016 12:50 PM   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

I also added the paper by J. Koehler (“Ones in Millions, Billions and Trillions”) to the course reader. No need to read it, but I put it in there in case you want to.