1 of 2
[Course] Creative Research 2016
Posted: 31 August 2016 03:21 PM
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  779
Joined  2007-05-02

Dear students,

Welcome to the forum topic for the 2016 Creative Research course. Here we can share ideas, news, and important messages for the course. For example, changes in the reader will be announced here.

The course webpage is http://mediatechnology.leiden.edu/openaccess/course-creative-research.

With a forum account you can:
- post messages yourself
- subscribe to this thread, so that you receive an e-mail when something is posted here (click on “subscribe to this thread” at the top right).
Forum accounts will be distributed to students after the first Creative Research lecture.

IMPORTANT:
The is a homework assignment that must be completed before the first lecture (i.e. Tue Sep 6). See the assignment at http://mediatechnology.leiden.edu/openaccess/course-creative-research#homework1.

Looking forward to the course! Best,
Maarten

Posted: 14 September 2016 01:54 PM   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

For homework reading assignment 2 (for Sep 20), you must all read (among other material) the official report about fraudulent scientist Diederik Stapel.

Coincidentally, he was is the Dutch national news today! After being appointed to Breda University of Applied Sciences as a teacher per September 1, his contract was terminated already, because many employees of said university were afraid of its reputation crashing head-first into rocks, because of Stapel’s involvement.

Read the news article (in Dutch only):
http://www.nu.nl/breda/4321208/toch-geen-samenwerking-nhtv-en-onderzoeker-stapel.html

A version of the same news in English:
http://retractionwatch.com/2016/09/13/no-teaching-post-for-fraudster-diederik-stapel-after-all/

Posted: 20 September 2016 01:19 PM   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

The deadline for homework assignments 3 and 4 is before class of Tue Sep 27. In particular, make sure that you have then sent me the abstract (PDF) for assignment 4.

Posted: 26 September 2016 12:54 PM   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

This is gentle reminder to submit your output of homework assignment 4 before class of Tuesday Sep 27. Late submission may be declined.

From the course webpage:

To submit homework, send a PDF document of your work to creativeresearch [AT] liacs [DOT] leidenuniv [DOT] nl. Include your name(s) and the assignment number in the document!

Also, do not forget to complete homework assignments 0 and 3 before class also.

Posted: 04 October 2016 02:32 PM   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

In the forum topic for the Statistics classes, I posted where you can find the slides of today’s class.

Posted: 04 October 2016 03:02 PM   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

I forgot to mention in class that, with your ULCN account from Leiden University, you can get great discount on software (MS Office for roughly 10 euro, Photoshop, etc) from http://www.surfspot.nl (click here for English). This shop is owned by the SURF organization that arranges all ICT for Dutch education and research, on behalf of the Dutch Government. It can be trusted, and offers software and hardware to students at supposedly discount prices.

This is where I bought my Excel… :-)

Posted: 31 October 2016 12:43 PM   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

IMPORTANT:

Dear students, I am ill, likely suffering pneumonia. As a result I cannot teach tomorrow (Nov 1), so tomorrow’s class is cancelled. I expect to be up-and-running again next week.

Please forward this message to fellow students (facebook, whatsapp, whatever).

My apologies for the inconvenience. Best,
Maarten

Posted: 01 November 2016 04:59 PM   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

Dear students,

I have placed the evaluations for assignment 4 (write abstract) inside the course vault. Should you have failed this assignment, then instructions for the retake are included in the assignment itself on the course webpage.

My pneumonia is slowly improving so expect class next week again.

Best,
Maarten

Posted: 05 November 2016 03:36 PM   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

IMPORTANT:

Since class of Nov 1 was cancelled, the homework assignment for next class (Nov 8) is the same as last week’s (i.e. homework 6).

The schedule on the course webpage will be updated as soon a I know when to plan an extra class.

Posted: 06 November 2016 12:52 PM   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

IMPORTANT, AGAIN

I minor change was made to the schedule of Creative Research. To make-up for the lost class due to my pneumonia, an additional class was scheduled on Monday Nov 14, 14:00-16:00h. This timeslot has been taken from the Perceptualization course, which originally intended to teach on that date.

The course website (http://mediatechnology.leiden.edu/openaccess/course-creative-research) reflects the updated schedule.

Posted: 15 November 2016 12:38 PM   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

Dear students,

I very much enjoyed today’s presentations of the creative research projects that you found. Actually, the quality of the presentations and analyses was high, well done presenting students!

Also, I noted some confusion over the need to present your work in today’s class, which is understandable. To clarify, I was not expecting everyone to present today, nor will it affect your evaluation in any way whether you did or did not present. So really, it has no effect. The presentations were used as a way to discuss different studies, not as a way to evaluate you—evaluations are based on your papers.

Presentations on Nov 22:

On Nov 22, everyone should have an equal chance to present their proposal and get immediate verbal feedback. Since I expect roughly 15 groups, I will then do very strict timekeeping to ensure that presentations are 3 minutes max (as the assignment states), including the time spent on setting up yourselves and your laptop connection. It may help to share a single laptop, to avoid the hassle of connecting, etc. If you wish to do so, then arrange this among yourselves before next class. Naturally, we should aim to start class exactly at 10h00.

I realize that this sounds very strict, but such is the assignment, and it is the only way to ensure that all groups get a chance to present.

Written Proposal:

To help you prepare for writing the project proposal, I have uploaded my comments to last year’s proposals into the course vault. Although they do not contain the proposals themselves, they provide you with a good view of what I expect of the proposals. Note that the formal criteria are on the course webpage.
Note that the submission deadline for the written proposal is Monday Nov 21, 18h00, as stated in the assignment. This as a strict deadline, because I need time to prepare class.

All the best,
Maarten

Posted: 21 November 2016 11:08 AM   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

Dear students,

this is a very strong reminder all must submit the written project proposal today before 18h00, as mentioned in class last week, and specified in the assignment, and mentioned on this forum last week.

Also, make sure that you present your proposal in max three minutes during tomorrow’s class, so it is wise to prepare.

See the course webpage on details of the assignment and submission process.

See you tommorrow,
Maarten

Posted: 22 November 2016 12:07 PM   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

Dear students,

As mentioned in today’s class, the homework 9 reading assignment for December 6 is optional.

Best,
Maarten

Posted: 29 November 2016 02:46 PM   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

Dear students,

I have invited Roberto Rocco of TU Delft to speak about Research by Design, in the Creative Research class of Tue Dec 6. Since Roberto must lecture in Delft in the morning, the Creative Research class is moved to 14:00-16:00h.

It is worth the hassle! Best,
Maarten

Posted: 29 November 2016 11:26 PM   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

I have done my best to evaluate your project proposals (assignment 8) a.s.a.p., so that you could use the feedback in your project. My evaluations are inside the course vault. Do not distribute them.

We have worked hard on evaluating the 7-papers works, and expect to have them done in short time.

All the best,
Maarten

Posted: 06 December 2016 09:07 PM   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-02

Dear students,

thank you for your active discussion with Roberto Rocco, it was nice to see you ask him questions! Feel free to contact him if you have any further questions.

His slides are available from Slideshare at:
http://www.slideshare.net/robrocco/research-by-design-1528328

Best!
Maarten

1 2 > 
1 of 2