Public Graduation Presentations, Friday, June 24
Posted: 21 June 2016 11:42 AM
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2013-12-02

You’re all invited to the Public Graduation Presentations of Lisa van Leenen, Rinus Bot.

Friday, June 24, 2016
Gravensteen Building room 0.11
, Pieterskerkhof 6, 2311 SR, Leiden

Schedule

10.30 – 11.05 Lisa van Leenen
11.15 – 11.50 Rinus Bot

—————
10.30 – 11.05 Lisa van Leenen
Title: Lecture By Girls: Artistic research into the world of Youtube

Abstract: When Emily Keats, PhD candidate at the Colorado State University, approached a group of women behind popular YouTube channels for her Master’s Thesis, she failed to get a proper response. Different from her expectation, popular YouTubers were not eager for academic interest in their online life. As it was too difficult to get in touch with them, Keats ended up using data of commentators for one of her case studies.
I experienced something similar in 2011, at the beginning of my own artistic research into the world of Youtube. Not restrained by scientific research methods however, I was able to go further. I started my own channel Lecture by Girls, collected followers and became part of a specific YouTube scene. It was, to some extend, an undercover operation, during which I collected an enormous amount of data while lacking a clear research goal and method. Or, to put it differently, my interests, goals and methods changed each time I obtained a new level of access. After virtually becoming a member of the group and developing a lasting friendship with a prominent Dutch YouTuber, I decided to step out in the beginning of 2015.
While my research has been an inexhaustible source of inspiration for my art practice, the courses at Media Technology induced me to look at it from a different angle. What is the academic value and relevance of my research? Can it become a model for academic research into online communities like YouTube?
Thesis advisors: Bas Haring and Karin Arink

11.15 – 11.50 Rinus Bot
Title: The effects of standardised quadcopter flight patterns on foraging birds (a test case for autonomous data gathering in ecological research)
Abstract: The quickly increasing prevalence of Unmanned Arial Vehicles (UAV’s), will have animals confronted with them in unexpected ways. In this paper it is argued that research concerning interactions between animals and UAV’s, should be developed from a perspective of scalable, autonomous, data gathering. A research setup that is designed from that perspective, with a focus on birds, is presented and its feasibility as a successful data gathering setup is assessed by the means of a test case. This test case shows, that in response to quadcopter flight, carrion crows avoid a foraging site, egyptian geese are unaffected, and eurasian magpies and jackdaws shorten their visit duration. As this successful test case vouches for the usability of the proposed setup, current shortcomings and future opportunities in this direction are discussed.
Thesis advisors: Maarten H Lamers and Katharina Riebel (Institute of Biology Leiden)