< 1 2 3
3 of 3
Research Seminar Social Technologies: (slight) change of schedule + literature
Posted: 08 June 2016 10:22 PM   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2014-09-01

It’s a bit last minute, but I haven’t heard anything about the coordination of the shared lunch for tomorrow….

Posted: 08 June 2016 10:36 PM   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2015-09-01

People are bringing food (either home-made or bought!) tomorrow for the 12:30 lunch and there’s wine at 17:15 (and possibly CHEESE so we can feel like proper upper-class people). Feel free to bring some snacks / dishes or drinks if you want! That’s literally all the coordination there is/was.

Posted: 10 June 2016 10:05 AM   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2015-09-09

While googling “american irony” (intending to find inspiration for an american themed costume party), I came across this article. Max, I was wondering whether you are familiar with these low-context cultures vs. high-context cultures. I wasn’t sure how to interpret it since it is from business insider.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-americans-dont-get-irony-2015-1?r=US&IR=T

Posted: 10 June 2016 07:32 PM   [ # 34 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2015-09-01

Dear all,

Thank you so much for all your great contributions to yesterday’s symposium. I can still feel the energy!

I have two messages on behalf of our speakers.
- Niels very generously shared his slides with us. If you’d like to have a look at these, let me know!
- Tamas made me promise to tell you once again that he thinks you’re a great crowd. He enjoyed the day very much and is happy to share papers with those who want to know more. Also, if you have specific requests for help with your project, he’s willing to help if possible. You can contact him directly or via me.

Furthermore, please bear in mind that the deadline for this course is July 1st. You should hand in a paper which provides a theoretical embedding of your project in the course’s framework, as well as the methods, results, discussion, and conclusion of your research (theoretical or experimental). If the paper is multi-authored, a detailed description of who-did-what needs to be provided. The paper should be powerful, well-written, and well-structured; so please put all stuff that massively slows down the reading process in an appendix (questionnaires, excel sheets with data and statistics, research logs, etc.).

Have a good weekend!!

Max

Posted: 10 June 2016 07:44 PM   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-09-01

Oh and Robin, let’s talk about high- vs low-context some time. This is based on Hofstede’s work, an interesting scholar of cultural differences!

Posted: 22 June 2016 10:06 AM   [ # 36 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-09-01

Dear all!

At the symposium I have mentioned the deadline issue, but maybe not clearly enough: it was July 1st, but given that the symposium was shifted by one week, I’m fine with moving the deadline by the same amount. So July 8th it is!

Furthermore, there is a request I want to make on behalf of Beau Lotto, the founder of Traces. After the talk he gave in our course he’s actually interested in working with students in the future. Two points on this matter:
- if you are interested in doing something in the area of ‘making the digital world tangible’, do get in touch with him directly or via me;
- if you have any thoughts or feedback on the app or the whole endeavour of bringing messaging into the physical world, do let him or me know!
Give this a thought over the summer if you’re too busy with the deadlines now.

Thanks a lot and all good wishes,

Max

Posted: 21 July 2016 09:50 AM   [ # 37 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-09-01

Dear students,

First of all: thanks for all the nice work I have received!
Some of you already have their comments and grade back for Social Technologies, others are about to get it.

In some cases my comments are very specific (e.g. ‘report of results is confusing’). In such cases you may want to change your final work on this point and thereby improve your result. This message is to let you know that this is possible. If you wish to do so, get in touch with me asap, but Tuesday 26th July at the latest. After I have agreed that your plans for improvement are feasible, the deadline for final versions is August 26th. The maximum increase in grade is 1,0 point.

Have a great summer, see (most of) you next year!

Max

Posted: 02 May 2017 07:40 PM   [ # 38 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-09-01

Hi all,

You may be interested in this year’s Social Technologies lecture!

The MSc in Media Technology and the Leiden Institute for Advanced Computer Science have the pleasure to welcome Dr Bronwyn Tarr in Leiden on the 10th and 11th of May. Dr Tarr is affiliated to the Social & Evolutionary Neuroscience Research Group (SENRG) at the University of Oxford and has an impressive record of giving talks about her research into the psychological and neurobiological effects of dance and synchronous movement in humans.

You are cordially invited to join her public lecture taking place Wednesday May 10th at 4.15pm in room C6 of the Gorlaeus Building.

Title & abstract:

Synchrony and the social brain: results from silent disco and VR experiments
Although many consider themselves non-musical and incapable of dancing, the simple ability to synchronise to a musical beat is something we are born with. Might this be key in understanding why humans first began making music and dancing in the first place? In this talk I explore a range of recent psychological experiments on what happens in our brains and in our perceptions of others when we move in sync. The experiments span real-world studies involving silent disco technology, to those involving collaboration with Computer Scientists at Barcelona University, in which we created an immersive virtual reality experiment to test the effects of synchrony.

Time: Wednesday May 10th, 4.15pm-5.30pm
Registration: free entrance, limited number of seats; please register by sending an email to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

The lecture will be followed by a reception in the Science Club.

On May 11th the MSc in Media Technology is organising the annual Social Technologies Student Symposium, at which Dr Tarr and Constance Scholten (entrepreneur and founder of Camarilla) will give the keynote addresses.

Posted: 10 May 2017 02:39 PM   [ # 39 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-09-06

The schedule for tomorrow’s Symposium is online and can be found on Blackboard under course documents.

Important times to remember:

08.30 - 09.00 Room open, coffee
09.00 - 09.15 Opening by Max van Duijn
-
18.00 - 18.30 Discussion & drinks

< 1 2 3
3 of 3