At May 16th there will be an OpenToko about the Linux operating system. This workshop will be interesting for both newbies and people with some level of experience already. First a general overview will be given by Leen Smit followed by a hands-on session trying different Linux distributions on different computers.
- How is the operating system organized?
- What are the tasks of the kernel and what do the deamons?
- How to perform some system management from the shell: users, processes, devices, scheduler etc?
- How the the different package managers work and how to find the right repositories?
- How to install drivers for your hardware?
- What about networking tools like rlogin, ssh, vnc etc.?
- How to do a system upgrade without loosing your data and settings?
- How to run Linux efficiently on cheap hardware (netbooks, mini-itx etc).
The day starts with a session by Leen Smit focussing on the questions above. In the afternoon we will try several Linux distributions (ubuntu, debian, sidux and more) on different computers: netbook, netbook running from a live-cd, mini-itx computer, mini-itx computer booting from usb-drive, MacBook. If you have a computer on which you would like to install or optimize Linux please bring it.
Date: May 16th, 2010 @ 10:00
Location: Kleine Koppel 40, 3812 PH Amersfoort
If you have never visited a Toko before, please read the about page. If you want to join, please fill out theregistration form.